Monday, February 27, 2017

Momma's Slow Cooker Carnitas

Hello all! So sorry to be posting this recipe late! I have been sick lately and it has taken a bit of a toll on me.


Because of this I didn't get to actually make the featured dish this week, but trust me when I say that I have been eating this delicious southern inspired dish since high school and making it since I moved out into the big wide world on my own.


These carnitas are such an easy crockpot meal. You can just throw it in the crockpot, let it cook throughout the day, allowing the smell to waft through your house until you can't stand it anymore. It's a great dinner for those busy weekdays cause you can prep the night before and just throw it in the crockpot before leaving for work in the morning and come home to the heavenly smell of carnitas!!

Boom. Done. Dinner is served.

Whenever I make this dish I always think of my Momma (and she gets a capital "M"). She made this deliciousness frequently in our house and it still never gets old in mine 10+ years later.

My mother certainly fostered my love for cooking through my teenage years by letting me help with dinner at times and teaching me whatever she knew; much of my cooking knowledge and love for cooking comes from her.

Allow me to pass on this recipe that celebrates the simple goodness that food can be!

Momma's Carnitas

Ingredients

  • 1 2-3 lb boneless pork shoulder (a loin roast would work well, too), cut into cubes
  • 1/2 cup lime juice
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • 2 cups (8 oz) shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese 
  • 2 avocados, peeled and diced
  • 2 tomatoes, diced
  • large/extra large flour tortillas, warmed
  • shredded lettuce, cilantro, and salsa for toppings

Cooking Instructions

  1.  In a slow cooker, combine pork, lime juice, salt, pepper, and pepper flakes
  2. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour, stir
  3. Reduce heat to low and cook 7-9 hours, or until tender
  4. Shred pork with a fork (it's ok if it's still a little pink)
  5. Warm tortillas and prepare fillings if you haven't done so 
  6. Spoon pork and fillings as desired into tortilla
  7. Fold in bottom and sides like a burrito 
  8. Dig in!
I promise that I will make this soon and post accompanying pictures!

New Food & Culture post coming at you Thursday, so stay tuned!

Until then...from my family to yours, bon appétit!


See you at the dinner table.


No comments :

Post a Comment