Sunday, February 19, 2017

Maw Maw's Chocolate Pie

Welcome to The Manifest Recipe's first weekly recipe post! I am especially excited to bring this one to you this week as it is a family favorite that makes me a believer in chocolate. This post will serve as a template of sorts as to what recipe posts will look like (as well as an opportunity to share love by chocolate). Eventually, when I win the lottery and can afford the Canon EOS 7D Mark II DSLR I want, The Manifest Recipe will have a YouTube channel where I will video myself making these and other recipes from the Food & Culture posts (check out the first one here!).

Like I said in my first post, I am looking for all kinds of recipes; I am only starting off with dessert cause I am a firm believer in the comfort that dessert can bring (especially pie!!) and this is the best dessert recipe I know of. Why not? Life is short; eat pie first, I say!

Let's get started, shall we?

I have to start this post off by making a confession that might upset some of you...

I don't like chocolate.

I know, I know. Blasphemy!

But chocolate is not usually my go-to dessert. I'm more of a pie woman...in fact, I dub that my new superhero name: Pie Woman.

Yeah... Pie Woman.

I can join Pieman and Cupcake Boy!

Anyway, there is one human on this earth who can make me forget that fact by making this particular chocolate dessert. That person's name is Maw Maw, my lovely Grandmother. The Hutson family Matriarch is a force to be reckoned with in the kitchen (and in life)- she has been since I was young. Pretty sure my love of cooking started with her.

"This pie is present in many great memories of my life"

This pie is so good that it was featured in a cookbook that circulated in my Maw Maw's community in Conroe, Texas.

See?!

Each bite is the most decadent piece of heavenly goodness- from the homemade nut-based crust to the velvety rich chocolate filling to the whipped topping- that you will make again and again after you've had it once. This chocolate pie has become a family staple at holiday dinners or just because we're together- my family is notorious, myself included, for baking things "just because" (often at night).

This pie is present in many great memories in my life; it gives me warm fuzzies to even think about, let alone eat.

Now I want to pass its magic onto you and yours. I hope you enjoy!

Maw Maw's Chocolate Pie

Ingredients

  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 Tbl. Flour
  • 3 Tbl. cocoa powder
  • 2 cups milk (1 12oz can evaporated milk plus regular milk [or almond milk] to make two cups)
    • Please note that a 12oz can= 1.5 cups, so you will need 1/2 cup of milk or almond milk.
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 Tbl. butter

Cooking Instructions

  1. In a saucepan, mix sugar, flour, cocoa together.
  2. Add milk and egg yolks.
  3. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
    • Filling will burn easily if you do not do this!
  4. Add butter and vanilla.
  5. Take off burner and pour into pie crust (see below for crust options).
  6. If you have a large stainless steel bowl, fill it with ice water; you can set filling pan in ice water and whip some of the heat out to top it sooner (see below for topping instructions).
  7. Let pie cool for ~ 15 mins on cooling rack.
  8. Top with whipped cream.
    • Honestly, my family are suckers for Cool Whip, so that's what we use for the topping; however, if you prefer making it yourself, here is a recipe for homemade whipped cream from a fellow food blogger, Dishes and Dust Bunnies! If you find that the top looks too plain, try adding some chocolate sprinkles, shavings, or chocolate drizzle, or fresh raspberries on top! I always thought topping it with marshmallow spread would be delicious too!    
  9. Chill in the refrigerator for at least a couple hours (the longer the better!) for pie to set.
  10. Dig in!
Voila!!

For the crust:

You can buy a pre-made pie crust if you want, but here is Maw Maw's recipe for one if you want to go 100% homemade.

Ingredients

  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup soft butter
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
    • Or any nut you prefer; I used almonds and it was delicious!
  • 1/4 cup confectioners sugar

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. With your hands, or mixer set on low to emulate hand mixing, mix all ingredients until a soft dough forms.
  3. Press firmly and evenly against bottom and sides of pan (note: do not press on rim).
  4. Bake 10-15 minutes, until golden brown.
  5. Cool (if making this with the pie, start making filling while crust cools).
    • Please note that if the crust on the sides is too thin, it will brown a little quicker than the rest of the pie (like mine did).


If you want meringue topping rather than whipped cream:

Ingredients

  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/4 cup sugar

Instructions

  1. Whip together until thick and peaks form.
  2. Wait for pie to cool before topping.


If you have any questions about this recipe, please contact me either by leaving a comment directly on this post or emailing me at fluffycheffy88@gmail.com.

Otherwise, from my family to yours, bon appétit!

See you at the dinner table.

No comments :

Post a Comment