Thursday, February 23, 2017

I Need Me Some Capezzolis

Welcome to this week's Food & Culture: Film Edition, in honor of the Oscars this Sunday!

Have you ever watched a movie that had a scene with food that made you immediately go to the kitchen after?

A few of those come to mind for me...

One scene in particular is from one of my top 5 favorite movies, Milos Forman's 1984 masterpiece: Amadeus.


If you have not seen this movie, make it this week's movie night pick- you owe it to yourself to view its amazingness. I cannot recommend it enough!

Amadeus is the first film I watched that I immediately re-watched again because I was so blown away by it; to this day, you can put it on anytime and I'll watch it in its entirety (I only needed to see the scene I'll be talking about for this week's post, but ended up watching the whole thing...again). The Director's Cut is currently on Netflix. Lucky you!

It's this (spoiler free!) scene (if you don't want to watch the whole clip, the specific part is at 1:38):


Herr Salieri (F. Murray Abraham) speaks of the decadent dessert Capezzoli di Venere, or "Nipples of Venus"; a shockingly named truffle reigning from Italy composed of chocolate and chestnuts which are coated with brandied sugar and white, dark, or milk chocolate.


Yum.

Every time I watch that scene I want these SO bad (sidenote: there are tantalizing spreads and homages to food all throughout this film- don't watch it hungry!!). 

So, why not figure out how to make them?!

Upon a quick google, I realized that I'm not alone because another fellow food blogger (among others), Project Pastry Love posted a recipe that seems to be pretty close to how Salieri describes what he shares with Constanze Mozart (Elizabeth Berridge) in the scene above. I have yet to try and make it, but it seems simple enough. 

Perhaps I will share as a Sunday recipe post? Or a special blog post? Stay tuned. They will be getting made soon!


See you at the dinner table.


No comments :

Post a Comment